7.07.2011

Tea Eggs

This is a quick one, but I felt like it deserved its own entry. I've had this recipe for a while, but didn't get around to trying it until my last week at home. Prep was quick, and my tea eggs came out flavorful and really pretty, so I think it's definitely a keeper.



You'll need:
6-8 eggs
1/4 cup shoyu (soy sauce)
2 tsp. Chinese five spice
2 tsp. salt
3 black tea bags or 3-4 Tbs. black tea


First, hard boil your eggs. Some tips: start with the eggs in cold water, and make sure there's just enough to cover them by an inch. Bring the water to a full boil, then turn it down to a simmer, cover the pot, and leave it for 15 minutes. Afterwards, put the eggs in cold water to stop the cooking process.


Using the back of a spoon, tap each egg all over to shatter (but not remove) the shell. Put the eggs back in the pot, and cover with water. Add all the other ingredients, cover, and simmer for 2 hours. 



Eat them hot, or save for later.

No comments:

Post a Comment